History of The House on Sathorn
The House on Sathorn of Luang Sathorn Rajayutka’s mansion, one of the most gracious buildings in Thailand, was constructed in 1890 during the reign of King Chulalongkorn (Rama V). The Neoclassical design resembled Ananta Samakhom Throne Hall, which led to an assumption that it was designed by the same Italian architecture team. The hexagonal Porte-Cochere with high ceilings forms a majestic entrance to the mansion. It originated as a residence of Luang Sathorn Rajayutka’s Family from 1890 to 1917. A business pioneer in canalization and boating, he was the creator of Sathorn canal and Sathorn roads. In 1925, the property became the Hotel Royale, before changing its name to Hotel Thailand. Soon after it was leased to the soviet union in 1948 and was used as its embassy in Bangkok until 1999.
The century old property was used continuously throughout the period. In 2001, The Fine Arts department designated Luang Sathorn Rajayutka’s mansion a national heritage property.
1889 – 1890: The house was built during King Rama V period. Owned by Luang Sathorn Rajayutka (Yom Pisolyabutra). He was the creator of Klong Sathorn (Sathorn Canal).
1895: Luang Sathorn contracted influenza and died at a young age of 38. The family's business empire passed to Luang Sathorn's son-in-law, Luang Chitchamnong Vanich (Tomya Rongkavanich). Luang Chitchamnong was considered the first Siamese businessman to trade rice in Europe
1916: His debts were running after him, one being the Crown Property Bureau, which was then the King's private holding. It finally confiscated 2 rice mills, land and properties, including Luang Sathorn's villa on Sathorn Road. His wealth which was once one of the largest in the land, virtually disappeared over night.
1924 – 1933: Became “Hotel Royal”. run by Madame A. Staro (Italian)
1948 - 1999: Property was leased to the Soviet Union
2003 - present: Property is leased to North Sathorn Hotel Co., Ltd.
2015 - The House on Sathorn opens as part of W Bangkok